So what do I do when I’m bored? I benchmark my flash drives. And then share the results with the world.
Here are the conditions of the test:
- Computer is a custom-built Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 desktop, 4GB DDR2-1066 RAM, USB 2.0
- OS is Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
- Benchmark program is DiskMark
- All drives were inserted into the same USB port, front panel on the desktop
- All drives are 4GB in size
Results (read/write average in MB/s)
- Lexar Firefly – 21.22/6.34
- Sandisk Cruzer – 22.62/10.29
- Transcend – 20.57/11.86
- Verbatim – 13.75/4.76
- Ativa (Office Depot) – 17.18/5.39
Result: It doesn’t have to be an expensive flash drive to be fast. The Transcend was the fastest, and probably the cheapest overall.